Chicago expanding summer Safe Passage program for teens
CHICAGO (AP) — Chicago is expanding a pilot project that provided safe ways for children to play during the summer.
Mayor Rahm Emanuel made the announcement about the Summer Safe Passage program Saturday. The Chicago Park District will partner with Chicago Public Schools on the effort. The mayor's office says more than 3,000 teens will be able to travel safely to-and-from summer recreational programming.
Last year the program was available at 21 park locations. That number will be 31 this summer. Last year two days of Safe Passage per week were available for Summer Teen League and Windy City Hoops program sites. That will be increased to four days this summer.
A release from Emanuel's office says the program will employ 250 workers who are responsible for "serving as eyes and ears for teens participating" in summer programs.
Copyright 2017 Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.
via Education Week American Education News Site of Record May 1, 2017 at 01:15AM